A List Of Popular Thesis Defense Questions & Answers
In some cases, college students are required to defend their thesis before a department committee, but more often than not the defense is made only for your major advisor. In any case, it’s a good idea to prepare for the line of questioning you will receive and the responses you will give. The kinds of questions will vary across disciplines, obviously, but there are some popular ones that you can prepare for ahead of time. Here is a list of the most popular:
- After you have spent several months working on this project, would you change anything about it if you had the opportunity to do it again? Not at all. I believe the final piece is exactly what I intended to accomplish if not more.
- What were some of the challenges you faced while working on this project? What was the biggest challenge you overcame? Staying organized and focused was always challenging but with the right planning and dedication I was able to successfully complete my work.
- How do you believe you will communicate your thesis to other scholars in your discipline? Through the usual academic channels of publication and conference presentations.
- How can your thesis be modified or generalized to fit other disciplines or areas of study? Though so aspects are certainly modifiable, only research methods would fit other specialized areas.
- What impact do you think your research will have in the discipline? Do you think your work will open up new pathways of study in the field? My work will have tremendous impact in my field and will lend itself to even more specialized work.
- How do you think your undergraduate and thesis work has prepared you for in-depth study at the graduate level? To date, this has been the most challenging and rewarding project I’ve undertaken and it has certainly prepared me for even more challenging work ahead.
- What specific aspects of your scholarly work do you think will be placed into academic or professional practice? I believe my findings can apply to both aspects upon further development.
- Do you have any follow up research planned? Will it relate to the work you have completed here or will it be an entirely new project? My next project will relate closely and further the ideas expressed in this work.
This list only represents the most commonly asked questions with a few suggestions on how to answer them. You may want to go to this website for more information and one-on-one support towards preparing for your thesis defense.