Coming Up With Good Thesis Topic Ideas: Hints For Students
A thesis is your first real investment in the research area of the course. The success of this project depends much on your choice of the topic. The process of coming up with good ideas to research is rather frustrating for the majority of students, but it can be made much easier if you know what you want. Here are some hints that will help you sort out good topic examples from the bad ones:
- Remember that your thesis topic idea should meet some standard criteria.
- Be interesting to you, your advisor, and the research community;
- Be novel, i.e. shed new light on the existing knowledge in the field;
- Fit well into the context of existing research;
- Be manageable;
- Be narrow.
- Generate your thesis topic effectively.
- Take a broad subject area to research.
- Conduct deeper research on the issue.
- Formulate your topic based on the information obtained.
- Remove the obstacles.
Namely, your idea should:
Read on the subject and narrow it down to a particular idea. Consult with your advisor. He or she will help you make your research area even narrower by suggesting a new direction or approach.
Turn to different credible sources, brainstorm the ideas, and get to know opinions of other people on the subject.
If you find out that someone else has already explored the same idea in the thesis, do additional research. It may happen that the competing paper covers completely different aspects of the subject. If not, consult with your advisor, and come up with new views on the problem.
Here are several great thesis topic ideas in different subject areas to demonstrate what a final version of your topic should look like:
- Food for thought: what food products help boost students’ learning skills and abilities?
- Young and obese: how does obesity in young age affect teens’ self-esteem and self-appraisal?
- Technological innovations to teach better: what technologies are used presently in the educational process?
- Physical activities for better learning: do elementary school children benefit from regular exercises?
- Secrets of marketing strategies: how does the length of a marketing message affect the strategy success?
- Popular brands in different countries: how the brand names are perceived in different languages?
- Climate change: how can ecosystems of your country be protected from a devastating impact of a climate change?
- Music to teach: how can music be applied in higher education?
- Too much of parents: how does parents’ attachment influence development of a child’s independence?
- Students being mothers: how do they handle the situation?